Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Australia Dairy Company in Hong Kong

I recently visited Hong Kong, and had a number of amazing culinary experiences, dining in Michelin star restaurants and top hotels.  It's funny, though, how sometimes the simplest and most basic meals are the best. 

The Australia Dairy Company in Hong Kong's modest Jordan neighborhood, on the Kowloon side, serves British colonial breakfast food that's very popular with locals.  One of their features is the Hong Kong style egg sandwich:  two thick slices of white bread, toasted for a small fee, filled with eggs and your choice of cheese or meat.  I elected to have mine with cheese, which was white and processed similarly to American.  The eggs were scrambled and incredibly light and fluffy, perfectly balancing out with the bread and cheese.   


The sandwich could be ordered a la carte, or as part of a set breakfast with a bowl of macaroni and ham in a savory broth.  The first time I went, I had just the sandwich with a cup of Hong Kong-style milk tea.  I like my tea brewed strong, but this was by far the strongest, darkest tea I had ever tried, even cut with the evaporated milk it comes mixed with.  I followed the example of a man at my table, and added copious amounts of sugar, which made it absolutely delicious. 

The second time I visited the Australia Dairy Company I decided to splurge a bit, and I ordered both the egg and cheese sandwich and the Hong Kong-style French toast.  The French toast used the same thick white bread as the sandwich, and it was heavily sauteed in butter and served with an extra slice of butter on top.  I covered it in syrup and loved every bite.

Australia Dairy Company, 47-49 Parkes Street, Jordan, Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive